Wednesday, March 3

The Start


Where does one start their blog? Do I bust out something funny and ironic right off the bat and then have to continuously live up to that level? Or should I just lay out who I am and hope that my bio will be enough to bring you back to check in again?


I think about other beginnings: LOST has the opening eye, the bible has the whole Genesis thing and "Happy Birthday" starts with "happy". (That is probably the first and last time I will make a biblical reference as that exhausted my knowledge of it). But these 3 are all good hooks, but not really my style.


So. Maybe I should just stick with what I know...me.


My name is Shan. I am a married twenty-something. My husband (who doesn't want to be named on here, but I have yet to think of something interesting to call him) and I have been married for almost 4 years. We have no children, not for lack of trying. And we have 2 crazy dogs - Tucker and Marla.


I work outside the home in the not-for-profit sector. I range between loving my job and loathing it depending on the particular work at hand. Is that so different than most working people in the world? I should clarify that my loathing is for working in general, not for my actual job! I am however, extra lucky because I get to work with my best friend of 10 years, which helps (she too will need a name, I am not sure if she wants me to use her name).


I am a know-it-all by nature. I still remember my grade 6 basketball coach getting mad at one of my know-it-all moments and throwing a basketball at my head yelling "You DO NOT know everything!" I don't think it has sunk in yet. I guess with this trait also come the bossy trait (I am the oldest of 3 kids, it isn't my fault). I do a lot of apologizing in my life for being a bossy boots. I just like barking orders. Others do not like it so much.


I have a kooky, interesting and sometimes tragically odd family. Lots of fodder there. I also foresee many apologies.


I, like so many other women, try to balance a career, a marriage, constant trying for children and trying to find myself somewhere in all of that. Everyday I feel like it could go careening off the edge or smash into a brick wall, but I keep steaming along.


I come with many quirks and issues. I dislike noise. I constantly struggle with and lose the battle with my weight. I get annoyed when people don't say "Bless you" when I sneeze, although I am not superstitious or religious. I would rather sleep than do anything else in the world.


But that is about it for now. Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment