Monday, March 22

I didn't marry for the money.

My dad always used to say to me and my sister: "Don't marry for money, just hang around rich guys until you find one you like."

I didn't listen, go figure. I married for love, how cliche of me. And now I have to work for a living to pay the bills instead of lounging by a pool by day and attending cocktail receptions with the who's-who by night.

So my hubby (who has yet to select a moniker for my blog) turned 30 this weekend. And instead of partying up with the boys or having a big surprise party at our house, he kindly came with me to the big event for a dance company that I am on the board of. It was the final performance for the production that had been 2 years in the making. And he came to support me. Even though a contemporary dance performance may not have been his first choice for a 30th birthday celebration.

I am so grateful for his support, even when it takes away what rightfully should have been a night all about him.

(I did try make it up to him with a surprise trip to Vegas, hockey tickets and a nice homemade meal. So I can't be all bad?)

This all ties back to how the hell you balance your life. Did I make the right choice about spending his birthday as we did? I don't know. But I married for love, and the decision was a little easier that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment